The successful equity analyst candidate will be one driven by curiosity to learn more, test ideas, challenge and overturn prior assumptions, and build ways of implementing best practices as our research capacity continues to grow. The analyst must have expertise in equity fundamentals, including financial statement analysis, capital structure and cost of capital analyses, DCF calculations, and other means of valuation. And yet, the same individual must be capable of and willing to think about intrinsic company valuation on a going-forward, long-term basis. That is, we need an equity analyst with enough industry experience to understand that some aspects of traditional asset management work well, and that some aspects are meaningfully outdated or broken; we need someone who knows enough about the box to understand when, why, and how to think outside the box.
Green Alpha Advisors is an asset management firm located in Louisville, Colorado. We serve individual clients, wealth advisors, family offices, and large institutions by investing assets in the public equities of innovative, scalable solutions to our greatest economic and environmental risks – climate change, resource degradation, widening inequality, and human disease burdens. By directing capital to solutions creators, we seek to help our clients catalyze and benefit from the proliferating, innovative, highly efficient, sustainable Next EconomyTM.
Green Alpha is run by three entrepreneurial investment professionals, each of whom has more than 22 years of investment industry experience. The Equity Analyst will report to the Chief Investment Officer and work closely with all three Executives, as all three serve on the Investment Committee.
The Green Alpha team is excited about the opportunity to both teach the right candidate what they need to know to help Green Alpha excel, and to also learn from and with the candidate so we can all thrive and have fun exceeding our clients’ expectations.
- Role: Equity Analyst
- Status: Full-time
- Location: Boulder County, CO
- Position will begin as in-office, during the training and learning-curve periods
- Past that initial period, position will have some hybrid-remote work flexibility
- Seek new corporate equity candidates for portfolio investment consideration
- Working closely with other investment committee members, the analyst will discuss the merits and limitations of newly identified candidates
- Promising stocks will be advanced to the research queue for deeper analysis and report preparation
- Reevaluation of existing holdings
- Working with investment committee members, analyst will stay current on holdings’ earnings, and other important developments and
- Analyst will then revise reporting and overall evaluations as necessary
- Continuously maintain and enhance critical Investment Committee reports and templates, such as:
- top-down research files via Word
- bottom-up research spreadsheets
- Maintain master lists of Green Alpha’s investable securities and watch lists
- Act as the lead in organizing information and taking notes in Investment Committee Meetings
- Facilitate, participate, and take notes on behalf of the Committee during Investment Relations/Management conference calls
- Assist Investment Committee members with keeping all data organized (e.g., shared file server folders organized in a consistent fashion, with consistent files names, sub-folder structures, etc.)
Job Candidate Characteristics
- Inherently curious
- Industry expertise – demonstrated through prior work experience, ongoing education and certifications, include industry-respected credentials (e.g. MBA, CFA preferred)
- Interdisciplinary expertise – outside finance, the ideal candidate will have spent significant time in and developed expertise in another field of professional or intellectual discipline
- Entrepreneurial – isn’t content simply to be handed tasks, wants to build better processes and procedures
- Problem solver – presents possible solutions as challenges are uncovered, and researches options when solutions sets aren’t immediately clear
- Teacher – wants to not only learn new ideas and approaches, but is also motivated to teach others for the benefit of the team, firm, and clients
- Possess exacting attention to detail and precision
- Takes pride in being a team player – someone who desires to help in any way that maximizes benefits to clients and the firm
- Demonstrated commitment to achieving goals – both personal and for the good of the organization
- Excellent computer skills:
- investment industry-specific applications, with preference for FactSet Integrated Solutions and Bloomberg Terminal
- MS Office suite, particularly Excel; Google Suite
- Proven capability to communicate the right details with team members in an open, fluid fashion
- Working, practical knowledge of U.S. SEC Investment Advisers Act and Investment Company Act regulations and best practices that the company must operate within
- Organized and happy to help keep others organized in accordance with company-wide standards
Please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org, and within your cover letter address how aspects of the job description both match your qualifications and fit your desires and goals, both short-term and long-term. Please do not call Green Alpha Advisors to express desire to apply or check on your application.